Walking Spots Near Charleston, WV, To Help Improve Your Mood
If you’re ever in a bad mood or feeling down about anything that life may have brought your way, have you ever thought about taking a nice stroll to keep the bad thoughts away? There are many different things you can do to boost your mood and keep you happy, but a walk around your hometown or neighborhood is at the top of that list. This blog will show you many different walking spots near Charleston, West Virginia, where you should take a walk to help boost your mood!
Reasons Why Walking Helps Keep You Happy
An Active Life Is A Better Life
Walking isn’t only good for your physical health but also your mental health. Here are some reasons why it can increase certain aspects of your happiness and well-being:
- It can improve your mood. Just walking outside every day for a few minutes can make your day better. This is because by walking on a regular basis, our bodies release endorphins and allow us to unwind. So, if you ever get mad, frustrated, or even sad while you’re at home doing work, walking can be a great no-cost stress break that’ll allow you to relax and stay calm. It even helps that you can do it anywhere at any time. There’s no need to go to the gym (unless it’s raining, of course!) to get the job done, you can just step outside your front doors and go around your neighborhood!
- It can reduce anxiety and stress. Endorphins are also known to reduce our stress levels which can help us relax during finals weeks and weeks when we feel overwhelmed by our studies and work. Even going outside for fresh air during a walk can help quiet our minds from the busyness of our days as well. It’s a great way to reduce the anxiety you may have from upcoming projects and tests and all the stress that may come with it!
- It can improve sleep patterns and routines. By exercising regularly, whether that’s walking, running, or even swimming, humans are able to increase their levels of rest which can make for a deeper sleep and can even improve sleep patterns over time. According to Hopkins Medicine, the elevation in core body temperature signals the body clock that it’s time to wake up, while the decline in core body temperature tells the body it’s time to go to bed. After exercising for about 30 to 90 minutes, this body temperature starts to fall, which tells us that it’s time to get some well-needed sleep. So, if you decide to take a short 30-minute walk before bed, you should get a little sleepy, which will help you fall asleep and stay asleep better!
- It can allow for social time with friends. If you don’t want to spend money to go out with friends or you don’t have enough time in your day to sit and eat at a restaurant, walking is the perfect opportunity to hang out and catch up with friends. By walking, you and your friends will be able to appreciate all nature has to offer and you’ll be getting in some good exercise together.
- It increases energy levels. Walking can give you a much-needed energy boost since it involves getting the blood flowing throughout the body. If you ever feel like you have low energy and want to get some to get work done, walking is a great way to do just that!
Since you’re not running or even sprinting, you’ll be able to have a conversation while taking a brisk walk in the fresh air which is a great mood fixer! If you do feel the need to talk to a professional because of a mental health crisis or you just need someone to talk to, which you can always do while on a walk, then be sure to give them a call. It can help to be on a walk during this call just to keep your mind clear and happy!
As you can see here, walking can help a lot of aspects of our overall mental health and well-being, which is why it’s a great thing to do and can be done just about anywhere you may need to go!
Walking Spots, You’ll Need To Visit
Different Places To Take A Stroll
Since you can walk anywhere in the world, there are always gonna be great places nearby, and if you’re not sure where these places are, this blog will show you where to go to walk in Charleston, West Virginia. Some of the great outdoor trails you’ll want to visit can include:
- Kanawha State Forest. Located just 7 miles from Charleston, this state forest is an outdoor wonderland. It has more than 60 miles of hiking trails along with many picnic areas and playgrounds. If you or your friends want to spend a day walking and then go camping, this is the perfect place for you! After that walk, you can even have a picnic since your endorphins have increased from the hike.
- Coonskin Park. Another outdoor hiking area that you’ll need to go to is Coonskin park. Located just 10 minutes from downtown Charleston, the park includes many different activities like disc golf, tennis courts, an amphitheater, and an Olympic-sized pool. So, before or after that walk, be sure to visit and do everything this park has to offer, like taking a dip in the pool or enjoying a nice picnic by the amphitheater!
- Magic Island. This place is a go-to must for anyone who loves being near the water and enjoying the outdoors. The island includes a walking trail and beach volleyball courts for anyone looking for some activity to do when they’re feeling down in the dumps. It’s open year-round and is in close proximity to many different dining locations and shopping areas. So, after that nice walk with friends, be sure to enjoy a nice dinner nearby and maybe even a volleyball match!
- Haddad Riverfront Park. Home to the city’s free concert series, this park is a great place to just hang out with friends and walk alongside the river. It’s even prettier at night with all the lights reflecting off the river. You can enjoy the music while you walk as well!
Be sure to visit any one of these locations to have a great time with friends or even by yourself. Just by walking in an outdoor location like the ones listed, you’ll be able to see the wonders of the world to help increase your mood immensely!